Monday, November 8, 2010

Wieso? Weshalb? Warum?

Wieso? Weshalb? Warum?: Spielerisch die Welt entdecken. (How so? Wherefore? Why? Playfully discovering the world.) This is a series with many foci, as for example here, "Die Jahreszeiten" (The Seasons), usually about 16 pages
For other titles see our bookstore and www.wiesoweshalbwarum.com
Price: approximately 9 Euros and under
German Level: All ages!
Before I write another negative review, I wanted to take a break and write about a fun series of books. These are sturdy, cardboard books, with a spiral binding. There are fun tabs throughout the book, which children can open to discover new pictures. For example, in the book "Das bin ich und das bist du", you can open a mouth to see a tongue with a vitamen on it. We all know how much toddlers love opening surprise tabs!
I have not reviewed all of them as that would be a very expensive project, but what we do have I like very much. Simple questions are posed at the beginning of a page. For example, what is the mouth for? We can taste with the tongue, we can speak and laugh with our mouth, and we can kiss with our lips. There are fun illustrations and discovery tabs to help illustrate the answers. This has been very helpful to me as a parent learning with my children. The sentences are simple and the vocabulary applicable to my daily life (and my children's daily questions).
In fewer words, I like the realistic and colorful illustrations, many of which are color pencil. The German is kept simple and to the point, answering specific questions about specific topics. There are many books to choose from for what you wish to focus on. Finally, these are certainly not necessary to any curriculum, but a luxury if you can afford them.

1 comment:

  1. We have quite a few of them and my children love them.

    ReplyDelete